Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Ingesting food as a mental substitute for happiness

    "I have kids, so I am happy", "I have a great job", so I am happy, and I don’t care that I meanwhile look like a hippo. Some say that, but do they really mean it or they say it loud to find a reason, an alibi why they really look fat and ugly? I don’t know how somebody of a family happy can be, but from a job, no way, in the latter I have experience in. A few years later, I read somewhere, that don’t “get married” with your work, cause it won’t bring you no glass of water when you’ll be sick. And so true, it is. But why get sick at first place?
     In our life we the most important thing is, to keep some kind of balance. This is the hardest thing to do. We all have ups and downs. Sadly our mental state does reflect itself on our body, also on our well-being.
     I heard someone, say, that fat people are happy. Great, if they are that happy, why do they eat that much? In the moment they start a diet, don’t seem as happy anymore…does that mean that they were happy at first place? Or that happiness was only related to food? If so, how can somebody, whose happiness depends on only one thing be called happy at all? Feeding is a physiological need, just as going to the toilet or drinking water. Would you call someone happy, who likes to shit?
     Eaters are like smokers or any other addicts. Smokers are often attacked, I don’t even mention drug users. They are scorned, they are all the time spoken against. But what happens with fatness? Yes, we acknowledge that it is unhealthy, we also acknowledge the fact, that would be better not to be obese, but it is still considered to be a tabu in adult conversations. If a group of friends, or just acquaintances, even newly met people allow themselves to take the speech against for example smokers, and immediately someone starts to smoke a cigarette give lecture about how unhealthy that is, but if someone at the table is obese, everybody just shuts up. Nobody would mention the fact, being polite and don’t wanting to hurt the person’s feelings. So, we are allowed to hurt the smoker’s, alcoholic’s and drug user’s feeling, but we are not allowed to hurt the fat guy’s feelings? Because he or she is already in a bad shape or depressive maybe? (This may not be the happy fatty from above) But does anybody think that somebody uses drugs because he’s so hell of a happy guy? Or the difference would be, that on a drug user or alcoholic at first glance you can’t tell which addiction he really has, but on a fat one is clearly visible, that the instrument of addiction is food. Ok… huuuge difference…. At least for our society, it is.
     If we would go harder on it, not with gloves it would be much easier. We wouldn’t torture ourselves as much. We tolerate in this matter just too much. I remember, my mom at every diet I begun, she would make long speeches about how good I look, how my jelly cellulite is normal, my father saying, that what do I want? My ass is just fine, because that is how a woman should look like… with at least 3 stomachs one overflowing the other, and some hips that hang down from every chair, accompanied by a jelly-but?! If we would just as a group, as a society and not just isolated fitness sites recognize that even the puffiness is just not right (don’t necessarily have to be obese) we could treat it much easier. It is not just a “little mistake” we laugh about. I’ve been down on that hill, I know, that 22 pounds can soooo easily turn into 44. You won’t even notice it, and in no time! And how much abstinence, self-denial, will power, stamina, ambition and only God knows what else is needed to shred those piled stones?! It is not a “hihi” or “ups” thing. Some people can destroy their whole life.
      I strongly believe that the matter has net been taken seriously enough. It should be taught in schools, that over-feeding is just like taking heroin. I’ve got “lightening” in school about drugs, but never about food. Neither from my parents, nor from my teachers.
    We must auto-educate ourselves in this matter. And remember, you can only treat a problem, if you recognize at first, that you have one!

No comments:

Post a Comment